Should one replace a guitar amp speaker with a bass amp speaker?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Cacacas, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Cacacas

Cacacas Active Member

I have a guitar amplifier which I do not use, and I want to convert it into a bass combo amplifier. What if I want to switch out the guitar speaker with a bass speaker? Where would I buy one? Are there any considerations for this type of speaker transfer? If so, where can I purchase a 12 inch bass speaker? Are there any speakers which are better than others? It's a 12 inch guitar combo amp with a distortion and clean channel. It does not have a tweeter, but it does have a speaker out from the power amp. Can anyone give some advice?

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Hi,

Without knowing what guitar amp you have, I can just tell you one thing. If the guitar amp is open-back, it probably won't make a very good bass amp. That might be OK for relatively quiet practice or studio use, but probaby won't have enough punch to play on a stage in a band without a tuned enclosure. Matching the right speaker to a cabinet requires a certain amount of math or at least the measurements, to figure the cubic feet of the cabinet and match it with a suitable speaker. And also you have to take into consideration that a guitar amp generally does not have a high-wattage output (compared to a proper bass-rig).

There might come a point where you consider selling the guitar amp as-is and shopping for a good deal on a bass combo.

If you decide to proceed- Eminence speakers are the brand I'd say are most commonly found in a bass amp. They're available in a lot of different styles/models and reasonably priced. If you're looking for something a little more upscale - E-V, JBL, BlackWidow, Celestion, (to name a few) might be worth investigating.

I hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cacacas

Cacacas Active Member

Thanks dvdhawk. I bought a bass amp. Still sitting pretty with the ole' guitar amp. You're input was very insightful.