Setting up and using multiple Speakers question.

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by Jarci, May 12, 2010.

1. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm interested in buying a speaker splitter. But I have no clue on what I may need or if I'm buying the correct one. I'm looking to buy one that will support at least 3 speakers. So far i Have two sets of speakers: Samson Audio - Resolv 40a and a pair of EPI 100 i bought from goodwill for like 5 dollars.

I'm looking to get something like this: NEW 5 Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Splitter,200Watt - eBay (item 270563099833 end time May-13-10 12:08:31 PDT) to switch between speakers. Will this work?

Is the hook up like this:
    The output of my sound board (maudio project mix) will go into the RCA input of the samson then,
    the L and R cable wires will hook into the speaker 1 of the "speaker selector" or the amplifier of the "speaker selector"?

I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I go out a purchase this. Thank You

Jarci

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No, sorry, it won't quite work in the way you suggest. The Reesolv 40as have a stereo power amplifier in the right-hand cabinet that drives the right-hand speaker internally. The drive for the left-hand speaker is brought out on terminals that you connect to the passive left hand speaker.

What you have to do is treat the Resolvs as a pair of active monitors and split the signal at the line-level output of your Project Mix. Run that stereo signal into a passive RCA selector box such as this one. Take one output of the selector box to the RCA input of your Resolvs, and another output to a separate stereo amplifier to drive the EPI 100s. Repeat that for another two pairs of speakers if you need to.

3. Jarci

Jarci Active Member

Home Page:
    Whoa, so i will need two different equipment to make this happen: The selector box for the passive RCA and a stereo amplifier?? What if my EPI 100's are wired and not RCA?

4. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Jarci:
    I looks like you have two Line Outs on the M-Audio. So I would take #1 line out using a 1/4"-RCA patch cable to the Resolves and the #2 line out using 1/4"-RCA to the input of a small amp or hi-fi receiver to your $5 speakers. No switcher needed. If you use a hi-fi receiver (goodwill maybe if you don't have one lying around?!?!) most of those have multiple speaker hookups on the back...(A/B/C) so you could hookup more speakers to that and use it as a switcher....