Royer SF-12 with Fetheads vs. Royer SF-24

Discussion in 'Microphones (live or studio)' started by rojarosguitar, Jan 30, 2018.

• Royer ribbon microphones - Why?

Simply put, when you put a quality ribbon mic on an instrument, voice, or other sound source, what you hear on playback is closer to real sound in nature than with any other kind of microphone.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Ah ! Yes that's the difference.. thanks Bos..

2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Bos, what tags would I add to define this example: passive microphones , active microphones ?

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    It's a bit hard to say. Certainly the SF12 is a passive microphone, but to call the SF24 active would in my mind be a misnomer. It's active in the sense that it needs power in order to output a signal, but the power is not used in the process of changing sound into an electrical signal as it would be in a voltage-polarized capacitor (condenser) microphone. I suppose it's no different from an electret condenser, so if you would call those active, then the SF24 is similar. I prefer to think of it as a ribbon (passive) microphone but with a built-in signal booster.

DonnyThompson likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed