Music business shifting to dirt cheap streaming

Discussion in 'Music Business' started by Dr_Willie_OBGYN, Jan 11, 2017.

1. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

And now that the net is no longer a level playing field, the higher bandwidth sites can promote their tripe of the day (*See above) while squelching the indie upstarts.

@rmburrow, you obviously have a vast radio background, what percentage of the terrestrial radio stations would you say have gone to satellite feed? Are any of them coming back, or at least splitting more of their broadcast day to local programming? The push toward satellite feed since the 80's, at the expense an actual local human being determining what got played, was also a turning point for indie labels / projects. I worked with two different bands in the early 90's that did OK getting regional airplay. We managed to get the support of a couple local commercial stations and the local college station, next thing we know we're being played on 24 stations over 3 states (half commercial / half college), and that opened the doors for so many other things that wouldn't have happened without those local program directors.

You're absolutely right about it being a game changer, when duplicating a recording didn't automatically include any generational loss. I remember the 80's and the fuss about blank cassette manufacturers paying the RIAA so much per tape supposedly to compensate for the money that would be lost due to tape dubbing, which irritated me because I was buying good blanks to record original material more than anything else. And there was the very dire (and often mocked) British BPI campaign about home taping "killing music".

Killers.png

Meanwhile, major labels like Columbia were deliberately selling cassette tapes that had such a terrible tape formulation that they would be useless after a dozen or so plays. According to friends who worked at record stores, distributors would not take them back, because Columbia's official policy was, if the customer got 10 plays out of it they got their money's worth. If you know that going in, of course you're going to duplicate it on the first pass before the magnetic particles start making the hideous screeching sound as they collect on the head.

If you've ever purchased a Journey cassette (Columbia) in the 80's, rest assured Steve Perry does not generally sound like a screeching dial-up modem - but you're all welcome to your own opinion about that.

audiokid likes this.
  2. DogsoverLava

DogsoverLava Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I bought my very first digital album download off of iTunes the other day - A guitarist named Aleks Sever. She's fantastic and I bought her second album. I was disappointed to find that her albums were ONLY available as downloads -- NO PHYSICAL MEDIA - and on iTunes and Amazon where they were sold you could only get them as MP3 ----- bloody compressed audio. I had no idea purchases made from iTunes were always and only compressed files. I was really disappointed to find this out. So not only is the medium where music is consumed getting watered down (streaming) in terms of quality -- we're losing quality on the source side as well. And here I am wanting to invest in better tech at higher resolutions...

audiokid likes this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I know.:sick:

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Better quality will still translate into better MP3. Plus its simply a lot more enjoyable getting to the finish line. But it is definitely a sad state.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed