(mp3) compression integrity

Discussion in 'Mixing & Song Critique' started by audiokid, Jul 2, 2018.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I could be right or wrong but at present I don't blame Soundcloud or any mp3 for that matter for swirly transients and spacial corruption (stereo compression artifacts) we hear. I think Soundcloud compression (possible any MP3 compression simply exposes (the bad in a mix) more. I'm more inclined to believe converters, conversion, mix processing and plug-ins are all part of the bad we continuously hear.

I've done tests for my own learning and never once heard SC change the transients that were locked in the right locations prior to uploading. Once I stopped doing what I found to be exposing this in my mixes, other than just crap MP3 compression sound... it all uploaded and sounded right to me.

kmetal likes this.
  2. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    @pcrecord Marco, hey! you could do a good video on this. Suggestions... Do a mono mix and see what happens before and after you upload it to SC, then go from there. Start spreading a mix, using various plugins and so on. I have a feeling we would learn quite a bit from this.

Oh I wish I could participate but can't because I sold my converters and don't have a studio to work in now.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i'm beginning o think you just might be on to something here Chris.

maybe it's latency within the DAW and adding plugs and tasks for the computer to execute exacerbates the problem?

tape /console /outboard / 2 mix .... that's all at light speed. start running it through a processor and you have latency. latency has always been an issue for me. i hate it. one reason i hate working with digital audio.

4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Indeed... A few years ago I actually started checking mp3 mixes similar to how we check a mix in mono. The mp3 process simply skins out problems making it easier to hear the remainder much the same as a null test can show in a remainder.

5. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Very nice suggestion ! I'll get on to it in a few weeks..
    I'm testing a ICon controler at the moment.. ;)

audiokid likes this.
  6. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    this is a (un-mastered) mix from like 2012, of one of my old bands songs. there's some sibalance problems which i'll fix in samplitude if i ever use this mix for anything. besides a slight dulling overall, deoth flattening, and an a seeming couple db of volume, i dont notice any audible artifacts from the MP3 conversion, which i think was done on an iphone app, but my ears and speakers could be lying to me. we only used 5 or six mics on the drums, and stuck them in a fairly dead booth with no parallel surfaces, and no samples. its overall pedestrian mix and song-wise, but im curious if it exhibits mp3 related issues, just out of curiosity. I just uploaded the .wav to soundcloud to compare the two, and see if SC exhibits any swirly phase stuff on it.

Attached Files: