1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

IMF speakers, anybody?

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by sign, Feb 15, 2004.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. mkruger

mkruger Guest

I know what you mean Han. No one I talk to has ever seen or heard of them. I’m glad I was introduced to IMF at young age. I bought mine when I was around 14 or 15 years old. They have helped tremendously to train my ear properly. Now, as an engineer and music lover they are a prize possession to me. Your right, the detail and stereo image is amazing, I always reference mixes to mine because I hear things I would not otherwise hear.

I’ve listened to a lot of speakers for home and studio. IMF goes to show how much you’re really getting ripped off these days when you buy new speakers, at any price. It’s sad that you can’t get half the quality and sound you did 25 years ago, even if you had all the money in the world.

I think what set IMF apart was that the engineer, Mr. Fried, owned the company and was truly more interested in designing a quality speaker then making a profit. He devoted a lot of time and energy to his transmission line theory. There seems to be no compromise in design or parts to save money. Unfortunately I assume that’s why the company went belly up. Every part was just as important as the next.

What I really like about IMF’s is that their not excessive. What I mean is that there’s nothing fancy about them, they were built to a point where more expensive components become unnecessary. And what truly is mind-boggling is the price you can find them for. People sell them for peanuts if you can still find a pair in decent shape.

I know who has all the original drawings, schematics, plans, and ideas for IMF’s. It sure would be nice if I could buy these from him and reproduce some of them.

2. sign

sign Guest

Mike, what's the type of the IMF's you own?

"I know who has all the original drawings, schematics, plans, and ideas for IMF’s. It sure would be nice if I could buy these from him and reproduce some of them."

That would be great! Can you get the original drivers?

I found the square tweeter to be better sounding than the circular one (like in the Compact 2).

Peace, Han

3. mkruger

mkruger Guest

I own the "Studio Monitor" model. Check it out on imf-electronics.com

Last time I contacted the guy who has the origional schematics, drawings... was about a year and a half ago. His name is Shayne Tenace (616) 697-5037. Unfortunatly he did not have a single part. His motive behind purchasing the logo and IMF name was so he could start his own speaker company called "IMF Audio". The schematics and drawing simply came with the name. I didn't really like the fact that he was trying to use the IMF name to sell new speakers that are completely different from the origional IMF's. He was sort of reluctant to share any information with me about the origional IMF's.
    Maybe I should call him again and talk for a while to see if I can purchase the stuff from him, since he's not ever going to use it.

4. Bassix

Bassix Guest

I own a pair of "compact monitor II" models.

I own a pair of "compact monitor II" models.

Using them for mastering (and enjoying music). Almost flat frequency response all the way up, just what I need for mastering audio. Mids are REALLY good on these, the crossover is near perfect. Lows are as tight as it comes, hard to add a subwoofer with these as you immediately notice your phase gets fuct over. Best stereo image I ever heard so far and overal the sound is just incredibly detailed. The only bad thing with these speakers is you notice how bad some of your favourite cd's sound.

The information on that imf-electronics website about this model is wrong. Here's the real data:

Dimensions: 480 x 255 x 275 mm wide
    Driver units: 200mm Bass/Mid - laminated cone, 25mm tweeter - soft dome.
    Crossover Frequency: 3 kHz
    Frequency Response: 60 Hz to beyond audibility
    Efficiency: 1 m Pink Noise - 86 dB per watt
    Matching Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
    Recommended Amplifier power: 10 to 100 watts per channel RMS
    Cabinet Finish: Walnut Veneer

In my opinion, the CM2 can easily be compared to the likes of ADAM, Earthworks or Genelec monitors that will set one back at least 4000 dollars. I got the CM2's for 80 euro :p

5. sign

sign Guest

Yep, that's why I'm very curious to the sound of the CM3, which has an extra mid driver and thus a 3 way crossover.

I'm even more curious to how the SACM sounds. Freq. response: 17hz-40khz

6. mkruger

mkruger Guest

Were going to find out about tose CM3's as soon as I pick them up in June in Florida!

Has someone offered to sell the SACM's to you? Are you going to go listen to them?

7. sign

sign Guest

No Mike, I've had a phone call with a guy who has bought a pair of them.
    He says the SACM's were also available as a DIY building project, which he has bought and he is not happy with the kind of wood they were built from, so he's going to rebuild them to the original company specs.

I would like to have a pair of them very much though, but my wife thinks they're too big :) :) :)

I have worked again a whole day long with the CM2's and they really sound very detailed. The ALS40II's however, sound very good too, but different, bigger with less mids. I have a problem with making my choice.

I found out the ALS40 sound best when standing free. I had put them in a 'doghouse' in the wall, but that doesn't work, too much 'boom'.

I don't get many responses to advers I've put on the web, it seems the IMF's are rare in the Netherlands as well.

Peace, Han

8. Stephane

Stephane Guest

http://imf-electronics.com

Hi all,

My name is Stephane, I'm the "webmaster" of the IMF website.

I'm not a professional. I just liked the IMF speakers when I was a kid, I had the opportunity to buy a pair of RSPM 25 years later. Since nothing could be found on the internet regarding IMF, I decided to fill this gap with a website + a Yahoo! Group.

2 things :
    - if they are innacuracies or errors on my website I'll be happy to correct them. Just drop me a mail.

- I have a pair of Reference Standard for sale in Paris. They were used by a sound engineer who moved to Canada. Someone please buy them, because I have no room to store them ! Pictures are on the Yahoo! group.

Thank you,

Stéphane

9. sign

sign Guest

You can 'store' them at my place, I have plenty of room. It's only 500km north of Paris! 8)

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Guest

IMF ALS40T

Can anyone help with circuit diagram for ALS40 please. just upgrading these wonderful speakers. I have xover circuit for TLS's but cant find the ALS40's thanks
    Chris

chrishender@hotmail.com

11. sign

sign Guest

Sorry Chris, I can't help you, but I'm sure someone on the Yahoo group can.

Mike, I'm in negotiation with somebody who wants to sell a pair of RSPM's.

12. Bassix

Bassix Guest

RSPM BABY YEAH!!!

Mike, Stephane... Behold!

Sign and me (Sign needed an extra pair of hands) picked these babies up yesterday. We had to carry them down two stories from somebody who had em stashed away at his attic somewhere in the Netherlands (our home country).

I bet Sign is well pleased right now :p

BTW Chrissy I'll try and see if I can find summat fer ya. Stay tuned.

13. Bassix

Bassix Guest

Re: http://imf-electronics.com

The photo's you have on the CM-2 page are in fact not "Compact Monitor 2" but the smaller "Compact 2" models.

I can send you pictures of my CM-2's if you like Stephane.

Peace,

Marco

14. sign

sign Guest

>I bet Sign is well pleased right now<

I am!

I've been listening half of the night to these little fellas and boy, what an extraordinary pair of speakers this is.

I've been playing a lot of great music and heard a lot of details that are unhearable on NS10's :D

Frank Sinatra sounds great, although there are several 'plops'.

Kate Bush' 'Hounds of Love' doesn't sound very good on these speakers, although it sounds quite decent on JBL's.

A couple of number one hit songs sound plain bad on these puppies.

Tonight I'm gonna listen to Diana Krall and Norah.

15. abes99

abes99 Member

imf

hi is this thread still going,would like to post,
    i`am crazy about those speaker.
    abes

16. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

This thread was last posted to in 2004. So, yeah its way out of date. The principle posters havent been here in many years.

17. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    maybe they will return from the auto notification.

(y)

18. Cantrell

Cantrell Active Member

I have just acquired a lovely (sounding) pair of CM3s, externally in good condition.
    I was told that the grille foam fell apart years ago - it would be nice (but not essential) to replace it - any suggestions?
    I notice that Falcon Acoustics offer replacement capacitors and wondered whether anyone knows of suitable replacement drivers - particularly the mid-range which seems faintly "suspect".

I am a great fan of transmission line (type)speakers (e.g. B&W DM2 & Cambridge Audio R50)

19. HansM

HansM Active Member

I've moved through a few IMF's over time. TLS50, Then TLS80, bought the Super Compact II because of size.
    Found them to be amazing in mid and high, but a bit light in the low end.
    Got a pair of ALS40II instead, great speaker.
    By accident (I was not looking for them) ran into a beautiful pair of ALS40-IIa, and bought them. Amazing difference, and I am happy.
    Sounds very analitical and "true".

But... now found a nice set of CM3's. Not sure how they compare to my ALS.
    Since they are not close to where I live, I am in doubt if I should take the trouble and drive over to listen.
    Has anyone compared the CM3 with the ALS40-IIa?

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed