1. Dear Guest, if you haven't already... enter to WIN Samplitude Pro X4!
    Dismiss Notice

Golden age project Comp-3a ?

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters (analog)' started by pcrecord, May 8, 2017.

1. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Save up the coin for a really special pre. Or a strip. The Manley Core is excellent. as are all the others mentioned. All Manley stuff is great. I use a DMMP and love it. It gets useage on most stuff. It EXCELS at acoustic instruments in a way most pres can't quite get to. I also think you should be looking into Phoenix Audio stuff. I have a DRS Q4 MkII. It also gets a lot of use on different sources.

BTW. It's the Eureka I use on hi-hats. And that's all it gets used on.....not to say it won't work on other stuff. It's a pretty good strip for acoustic instruments as well as a damn good bass DI. Pretty basic on vocals. That being said if you put up a really colored mic, this is what you would need.

I can't stress enough how vital a high quality vocal chain is to the process. I have several quality mics..each with their own 'stamp' but the chain remains the same. Groove Tubes ViPre > LA2A clone (Drip Opto 6) > PTHD. Yeah....lots of tubes in the path. Clean and clear tubes. Nice heater in the winter kinda tubes.

I also have a Grace 502 Optical comp in my 500 rack. It is a sublime piece. I love it. I do also use the Retro Double Wide but the Grace is first call in that rack of comps.

There's a Warm audio WA76 in my rack. I've owned and used a few 1176's. This one is good. There's a range in it's settings that makes me happy, but it's not quite a real 1176.....but it's close. On guitars in a thick and rich mix you can't tell what's being used.

Sometimes after tracking I'll send my drum buss....usually the trap kit alone or the overheads alone through the DBX 160SL and back to PT. Then mix that capture in with the original tracks. Helps thicken stuff up a bit.

Save up for your pre or your strip.

kmetal, pcrecord and audiokid like this.
  2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

REVIVE AUDIO MODIFIED: GOLDEN AGE COMP-3A, CINEMAG TRANSFORMER+AUDIO PATH UPGRADE!

kmetal and pcrecord like this.
  3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Comp-3a-1-500x500.jpg
    Looks interesting. Almost like a mono amp back in the vinyl days.

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    This is a strange animal, 1 gain 2 channel... I wonder how they came to that design ! ;)
    upload_2017-5-19_17-10-6.png

That's what I'm doing.. My LA-610 does a good job for now anyway ;)

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

It's one of the oldest Manley designs. A good read on how they use the negative feedback into the gain control. It's a lovely balancing act when you really start to use this as designed. It doesn't seem like there's much there but the huge variety attained by use of the gain and the attenuation of the input is mind opening.

pcrecord likes this.