Free DAW Plugins!

Discussion in 'Computing' started by kmetal, Jul 23, 2016.

1. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    What happened to it!? Was it an amd processor?

This is exactly why I've spent a whole year researching computers. I'm just about ready to build. Not surprisingly it's about 1800$ as it stands.

If I didn't spec it it and assemble it it'd run me about 4-5 grand.

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

yes it is amd's with a Frontier light pipe card with 18 ins/outs. (16 lightpipe and 2 spidf) . it's out in my shop. it's been sitting in a silence case for years now. i wouldn't be surprised if the HD was locked up. if i had more energy and drive i would drag it in and fire it up just for sh*ts and giggles.

3. kmetal

Home Page:
    So why did you stop using it?

A big reason why I'm subscribing to planned obsolescence and a multi computer setup. Each computer has a useful place/role to go as it ages. And I don't have to put all my eggs in one massively expensive machine that's eventually going to be useless.

This 'flagship' daw is going to be a dedicated synth/ virtual orchestra PC. The one that's currently assigned to that role and all vstis is gonnna be a dedicated virtual drum PC.

So as the the software instruments inevitably get bigger, they'll be spread across more and more computers, keeping the playing field of hardware vs software even for longer.

Honestly it's a bit of a pita and took me a whole year to kinda grasp.

Basically it's flagship for three years, then vsti for 3-5 more, the office work or whatever for the remainder. Basically a ten year working life span. Ideally I can spread it out a bit more, particularly the peak performance or flagship stage.

audiokid likes this.
  4. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Precisely how I role as well.

5. Kurt Foster

but i don't need a vsti machine (i won't say it but i'm biting my tongue :censored:). all i need is a multi track recorder and a mixer.

6. kmetal

Home Page:
    Right. Now i see what your saying. Have you considered snagging a hard disk recorder? Those Alesis machines are reliable and aren't expensive.

The mixer is the tough part man. That $*^t ain't cheap. We had Trident 24 which is like the worst Trident out there like not the 'real' Trident, and that thing was riddled w problems and cost 15k. A mackie 42 fader mcu array took its place. Then an avid c-24.

TBH that Trident was super cool and made everything sound more basly. Best mixer I ever touched.

For someone like you who's used some real good level consoles I can imagine that even a 20k console could feel like a toy.

I wish they made a reasonably priced console and tape machine. If they made tape and the machine new I'd buy one.

The recorder is the easy part, the mixer, not so much. I think I see where your coming from.

It's almost like the analog and digital are two very different worlds. Like two different arts almost. Like riding a bike vs riding a motorcycle. Completely different asthetics.

Frankly I'm glad missed the boat in a way because I like my limited experience on a console and cheap tape machines quite a bit vs the mouse mixing. I can't imagine if I'd caught the hey day. I'd probably start working on cars or something lol.

Each method has its merits. I'm having fun getting caught up in the electronics and electrical engineering side of things these days.

The whole reason i got a box of soldering tools was because I just love the few high end poeices I've gotten to use, and can't afford them.

Instead of the knock off, i figured I'd just learn to build that stuff. W people like Boswell and dan zellman around to lend some advice here and there I might get into the ball park.

Beyond pure sonics, there's the physical and even emotional reaction to analog gear that's just not part of the current era. It's more like being a quality control engineer. Like rarely do I make a tweak that makes me have an emotional reaction in the daw. The old bobbing your head turning the knob and smiling, it's just not the same as on a mixer.

That's the one thing I've liked most about live sound is that connection. And mixing to the house without worrying about translation after the fact.

Soon as the bands put me on an iPad I felt washed up. It just was clumsy and not rewarding. The obvious advantage is mixing from the sweet spot. I prefer to turn knobs and move faders from the little nook behind the speaker they'd stick me in...

That said I'm still having fun w audio. I'm finding new ways new toys new interests. This hiatus has been great for pressure relief. I always said the day it stops being fun is the day I hang up the audio gloves.

As far as the art of digital mixing the EM Guys are leaps ahead. They use digital as if analog didn't exist. Many of us are trying bridge a huge gap, or work in some compromised world or a conglomerate.

Time will tell if things will do a (slight) return or full return, or simply never look back.

I wonder how long till there's no more mixer screen even. And the waveform display in the edit window is moving dynamically. No meter strips...

Dynamic processing and multi band is undoibabtly the future. 'Boosting' 10k on the vocal track is going the way of the buffalo. Dynamic eq is the new way.

The way I see it the As long as it frees up more time and ability to be creative then the pseudo automated mixing trend is cool. If it's an excuse to be lazy and congealed things even more it's a detriment.

End of the day, once in a while i hear something that speaks to me in some way. Music is one of the few things that's rarely if ever let me down when i needed it. It's been there when nothing else has.

So these tech trends will evolve but those moments those once in a while moments are worth devoting a better part of my life to. At least it has been so far...

7. Kurt Foster

and therein lies the rub. to do audio that doesn't drive me nuts at night i need more than the market will bear. that's why i'm retired.

and that's why i have the time to hog the whole forum today lol!

WWPoster.jpg

kmetal likes this.
  8. kmetal

Home Page:
    I understand. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. I defiantly can't say I blame you.

9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I wonder if we could get a tape deck donated to us.
    Kurt, find a company that makes one and I'll run the banner in exchange to advertise them for a year or so.
    It's on me. Yes,I am serious.

DonnyThompson and kmetal like this.
  10. Kurt Foster

thank you Chris. that's a very generous offer.

kmetal likes this.
  11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Very generous indeed... but not at all surprised. ;)

The fly in that ointment... and I'm not trying to be a donny-downer here... to quote Kurt , "therein lies the rub"... I'm not sure anyone even makes tape machines anymore.

Your best bet would probably be Vintage King... or a similar vintage audio gear broker, because while you'll pay a premium price, you can at least be assured that what you are getting has been restored properly, and that it works.

( I just checked, VK has a couple Mara/MCI decks for sale; a 2" 24 for $20k, a 2" 16 for $10k, a 1" 8 track for $7.5k, and a 1/2" 2 track for $6.5k...

That's the thing about analog... it's not cheap to do it right. It never was, really.

Ebay has some better deals... but with that route, I'm not sure you know what you're getting, condition-wise.

It's possible ( even probable) that there are hundreds of decks sitting in people's basements and attics that would probably go for very cheap.... but to get one that doesn't need a mountain of work is gonna be rare, I think.

-d.

12. Kurt Foster

that would do for me just fine .....:D then i would need to find a small console ..... something like that little Harrison PRO 7 i had would be perfect!.

the thing about the MARA machines is they are reconditioned and MARA will help with support if you buy one. i have noticed a resurgence in interest in analog. i wouldn't be surprised if someone stated making brand new machines. it's a smaller base of people to sell them to now. computers rule the roost and even i accept that.

really though, there's no market for it unless you are in an area where you have access a huge client base. that means SF, LA, Austin,Nashville or th East Coast. i don't like LA or SF (been there got the tee shirt) and Texas is out of the question for an old pot smoking dude. never been to Nashville. should have gone there when i was younger. lol.

13. kmetal

Home Page:
    Man I wish they would!! I'd be in line for sure.

14. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    If you really want a tape machine Kyle, and you have the money, you don't need to wait.
    There are hundreds of good deals out there on refurbished machines of all varieties of track counts and formats...

As I mentioned previously, VK has several different Mara-reconditioned tape machines available...
    If a company did start making new multi-track tape machines again, I doubt that they would do it ( or even be able to do it) for what most would consider to be a "reasonable" cost.

Part of what made digital so attractive in the first place, was that you were getting much higher track counts, blade-less editing capability, and, you didn't need to buy tape anymore.
    For those that aren't old enough to remember when tape was still "king", it wasn't cheap.

Studio owners who used a lot of stock usually bought bulk tape ( "pancake" reels that you could spin-on to a full flange reel yourself), and this was cheaper... or you could buy it already in a metal flange in large quantities, and that would save you money, too; but unless you were buying bulk, as of 1997, a 2500' reel of 1" Ampex (or Quantegy) 456 or 499 tape was around $90 per reel, and 2" was around $130 - and, if your machine was running at 15 ips, this only gave you apprx 33 min of available recording time. If you had a machine that ran at 30 ips, you had around 16 min of tape time.

It wasn't at all uncommon to have 5 reels of 1" or 2" tape for a full album project; and, if you were working with a band that tracked all-at-once, you would often have multiple takes of the same song on a reel... so, you could easily have a $500 expense just in tape alone for a full album project.
    Add to this the cost of a 2-track mix-down reel of Ampex 1/4" or 1/2" tape , and you had another $40 - $60 in tape costs.

I'm not trying to give the impression that I'm against tape, gang... I'm most certainly not "against" it. I did some marvelous work on tape back in those days, and there are times I miss it, ( and consoles too).
    But it was not cheap, and, it wasn't maintenance-free either. Alignment, Biasing, Head Re-lapping... along with all the typical wear you have whenever you have parts that move... there were mechanisms to these machines - tape rollers, tape guides, lifters, motors, brakes...

But... if you have the money to get a good deck, you don't need to wait...there are plenty of rebuilt/repaired tape machines that are still out there, and in very nice condition, too.

I'm sure there are still companies that make tape as well... although I have no idea of the quality or cost.

FWIW ;)

kmetal likes this.
  15. kmetal

Home Page:
    Man ya know, sometime I feel like I was born 20 years too late. You guy's stories are always way cooler!

Even reading how expensive it is and I know your post was illustrating that, inkept thinking, damn I wish I was there. 16-24 tracks cut to tape. Two machines linked!

It's not the money issue for me. I mean I can't afford a studer. And I don't mind buying some tape. I'd just use it for when I was ready to lay down keeepers, once the arranment and stuff was tight in the computer.

I just have a hard time w used stuff. Mentally it's prt of my instantly, and in reality some stuff I've had used I've had problems w. Mara I trust is good, and Dan Z works on abbey roads tape machines to this day, so he's only a couple hours south of me in NYC.

I honestly was thinking of making a project out of building a new tape machine from NOS/original spec parts. I thought it'd be a fun and challenging project. Maybe like an 8track or something.

That said this new software, vsti cpu, daw computer, and converter, and NAS drive, is / is gonna run me around 5k. lol that's possibly without even an OB pre to start.

So needless to say I've got my available funds tied up for a while. Next fall the mytek 8x192 updated version i due out for 3k and I'm planning my funds accordingly so I can get that as soon as it drops.

Fortunately I was able to sell almost all of my old gear and Mics for somewhat reasonable money so that helped pay for some new state of the art truly pro level stuff of today.

Anyway I think that all in all it's probably a wash over the span of 10-15 years between tape and daw machines. It's seems the clasp system made a big splash initially but I don't hear much about it these days.

The price of tape would probably make tape more expensive overall, depending on how often you printed to it, and if you mixed on it as well.

To my ears/wallet the best combo is tracking to tape, and mixing/editing on disc. I think digital mixing is very capable, but I think it's tracking to tape that's as of yet, not matched qualitatively speaking.

16. Brother Junk

Brother Junk Active Member

If
    I used to do that at Verizon....the second picture you referenced, not the first. I was the neatest internal wire guy that company ever saw

17. kmetal

Home Page:
  18. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
    @kmetal
    Kyle...
    I don't think I'd have a use for either of those, pal, but thanks for posting for the benefit of others who might. :)
    Samplitude has a built in "imager" on their mixing console view, and it also provides a stock "matching EQ" (called "FFT"). I almost never use "imaging" processors, although I have found FFT to be useful in getting things like vocal takes recorded on different days by the same singer to match up a little more.
    There is one "freebie" plug that has proven to be useful to me - more than just a few times, it's the Nova Active EQ from Tokyo Dawn. I don't have a link for you, and I don't know if it's still free, but I'm sure you could find out quick by doing a Google search. You've mentioned being curious about "dynamic EQ" in past posts... You may want to check out the Nova. :)
    -donny.

19. DonnyThompson

Home Page:
  20. kmetal

Home Page:
    @DonnyThompson

Cool man I’ll check it out. I have a couple dynamic was from izotope and waves for my primary stuff. A lot of these others are purely for conversation or for using within a vsti computer for sound mangling Ect.

I generally think keeping things relatively streamlined, and limiting the amount of different companies who’s code your employing, leads to a happier smoother daw system.

I do enjoy the concept free stuff tho, and once in a great while it’s actually useful.

DonnyThompson likes this.