Do you guys mixdown from a DAW to analog tape ?

nandoph8

I understand that but I have a 16 track one inch and am wondering if I could use 1/2 of the tape to mix down to by combining 4 tracks as one for left and another 4 tracks as right. Some one told me I would get phasing problems...

dustbro

nandoph8 said:
I understand that but I have a 16 track one inch and am wondering if I could use 1/2 of the tape to mix down to by combining 4 tracks as one for left and another 4 tracks as right. Some one told me I would get phasing problems...
Depending on the azmouth of the machine, you will get some phasing issues. The only way to do it properly is to get a 1/2 head stock and rollers for your machine (if they even make them).

therecordingart

I have an ignorant question. Would my mixes benefit from recording/editing digital....bouncing to tape and hitting the tape hard for warmth...then bounce back to the digital domain to prepare 24bit aiff files for mastering? Or should I just record to tape then bring everything into the DAW for editing? I can see benefits on both sides, but I wanted to see if the first option would make a difference.