Changing Tubes - Art Tubeopto 8

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by Alexthebore, May 26, 2020.

1. Alexthebore

Alexthebore Active Member

Hi!

Ive read a few threads about changing the tubes on the Art Tubeopto 8. I got my hands on some vintage telefunken ecc83 smooth plates and I can’t wait to hear how these sound! Several of the threads I’ve found note that you need to remove the tube snubbers before you pull out the tubes and replace them after.

I’ve only ever changed tubes on amps where there are no snubbers involved. They seem pretty glued in. I was wondering if any of you have experience with this, and if so how you got the things out?

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

IMG_1505.JPG Usually tubes are mounted in sockets and are very easy to replace. I am not sure about your unit, but this photo shows the sockets. I have never worked on this unit, but it looks like the socketed tubes are retained via the tip....

The 12AX7 is a pre amp valve which is identical to the ECC83 – same valve, just a different name. What's mounted inside now?

What are your goals with this mod?

3. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    There is a part you need to remove at the top of the tubes. It holds them there. Once removed they should get out easy.
    I'm just wondering how much of a diffence the tube makes in this unit.
    I remember changing tubes in a DBX Silver 586 and it didn't made any differences. It depends where they sit in the design..
    Make sure to make before and after recordings.. I'm curious about this one ;)

4. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the stock unit comes with 12ax7's installed.. this mod will likely sound the same.... are you trying to mellow the gain? Might try a lower gain triode like a 12au7... it has less gain...