8 track reel to reel

Discussion in 'Tape Recorders' started by therecordingart, Jan 15, 2006.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get an 8 track reel to reel and was thinking either a Fostex M80 or a Teac TSR-8.

Anyone use these? Any suggestions?

2. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have a Tascam 80-8 (1/2" 8 track with DBX NR) in excellent condition, put away in storage. Heads were relapped and all relays were replaced shortly before taking it offline about 8-9 yrs ago. I also have the electronics card extension/insert and a test tape for tweaking & alignment.

I'm not in any hurry to sell it, not trying to shill here, but since you asked.... :twisted:

Contact me privately through my website or Joe@Westonsound.com for more info if you're interested in knowing more.

3. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I used an 80-8 for several years. The TR-8 is a toy compared to it. As far as the Fostex is concerned, stay away from it. My drummer still has one of those. I believe that it is not "field-alignable". I remember being told that the headstack was "permanently aligned". The 80-8 (with dbx,natch) was pretty reliable and we made decent productions with it. Especially when we upgraded to a Ramsa board from the Model Ten (Tascam) that we had.

4. stickers

stickers Active Member

Home Page:
    try looking for an otari 8 trk..yup

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

The Otari 5050 series is probably the best of all these units, as far as real quality is concerned. But their 8-track machines used 1/2" tape, not 1/4" tape. Otaris were the mainstay of broadcast facilities, and as such, used a LOT, and contrary to popular belief, not ALL radio and TV stations maintained their gear well. Come to think of it, the 80-8 uses 1/2" tape, too, doesn't it? Oh well....